The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy; full to the brim with side projects, updating my website and consequently filling Etsy orders and commissions, and of course my main degree project! I feel I've been really excelling in my practice recently, both in its visual language as well as me enjoying producing it which is great. However, I've also been super excited to work on some side projects with uni!
Since Christmas time, I've been working on a sort of collective commission with uni. One of our illustration tutors gathered a group of us to work on a print series/project commissioned by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. They asked TheGallery - our exhibiting gallery space within uni - to help create a series of works to showcase the life and work of musician Maurice Ravel. The orchestra will be performing his "Rapsodie Espagnole".
Since working in a similar subject area for my Pre Major and Final Major projects, I decided to adapt some of imagery to work with this. I wanted to keep the warm, bright colours, but created a piece that utilised a current working style. I aimed to envisage Ravel's French heritage with his love for Spain in this music piece. I worked digitally, but these limited edition prints were to be screen printed on beautiful heavy quality Somerset paper.
Artwork by moi! and screen printed by the fabulous Donna @dnnpeters who helped me learn more about the art of screen printing! Check out her work!
The images below are of the first run, which led us to encounter a few process errors; for instance, some ink halos caused through the printing and photocopying the image (in prep to be silk screened), and some areas of colour also stuck out.
I am really pleased with the first print run -- especially how the colours turned out! We even got a metallic in with the warm yellow! -- and am fortunate enough to now have these for my portfolio and to sell on as high quality prints. The final editions (after some artwork edits) are to be shown and sold at the music event in March.
I've also been working on some ceramic plate designs for a project with uni! Our university is twinned with some schools and uni's across Asia, and it's part custom and out of courtesy to bring a small gift for them when our uni visits. Usually our Principal and/or some course tutors visit, and this year they'd like to take over a small selection of painted and decorated ceramic pieces to present. I was honoured and really excited to be asked if some of work could be adapted to be used!
I would love to work in the area of surface design, so this is a great project to learn a small part of that, as well as great commission experience and honour. The tutors and I agreed some of my colourful, figure orientated, recent work would work really well; to showcase our university's collective of work. They are yet to be printed, but I'm really pleased with the current designs - you may recognise some pieces below!
Also, if these are successful pieces and products, it's a great route for my Major Project and possible outcome!
Since kick starting my brief surrounding the Mediterranean theme, I've been working on some initial digital drawings/paintings to create a basis of images to develop and work from. Using holiday and travelling memories, experiences, and my own photos and drawings of the area, I have been able to build varying compositions.
These initial illustrations will create a basis for my developmental work, etc. I've quickly mapped out the main block shapes and colours, to create a suggestion of landscape and scene:
I've also begun to play with some block coloured abstract pattern work, around the nature of the images:
" Final animation (of my current course unit) -
"blue" : Exploring the theme of water, and how it can make us feel.
Focusing on key typical movements and moments, to demonstrate its mesmerising, almost hypnotic features. "
The best part, is the feedback that I have already received from people after watching my final edit ...
"for two minutes I was totally relaxed ... I'm very highly strung right now, and it zenned me out"
"I feel really hypnotised; it was really tranquil"
... as it really pinpointed what I aimed to illustrate. It makes me really happy to see that I can create something that gives people such a calming, hypnotic feeling.
I've actually really enjoyed this animation unit! I've learnt so much, about the medium and software, and really feel my practiced is continuing to progress. This could be an area I work with in my final year!
The dreaded animation unit !! I had NOT been looking forward to this unit at all, mostly because I hadn't ever tried it so I couldn't reeeally judge ... I just had no desire to make my illustrations move, or any knowledge, despite the internet..
HOWEVER! We're about 7 weeks into the unit, with around 2 to go for the deadline (and summer freedom!), and I'm actually really enjoying it! And this is with thanks to our wonderful departments' technicians teaching me an entirely new software that I hadn't even heard of two months ago.
I've been using a system called Blender, which is kind of like building 3D worlds, objects, movements, the lot!
My sequential narrative unit all finished...
I am so so pleased with how my final publication has turned out, including my final adaptation of my wordless narrative. I decided to finalise my outcome in the form of a bound book - mostly because I'm obsessed with book binding and would love to sell some pieces some day, but also to physically bulk out my work as a desirable piece.
Making my work look professional is so so important to me and my future profession. So taking the time over the last week to bind - both perfect and stitched techniques - was great, as both something i really enjoy and to tie my whole project together.
It was also a great way to use my pattern design work!!